Returning to Canada with a Pharmacy Degree from the UK

Returning to Canada with a Pharmacy Degree from the UK

Returning to Canada with a Pharmacy Degree from the UK

One of the most frequent questions asked by Canadians who want to study Pharmacy in the UK is "can I return to Canada with this degree and become a licenced Pharmacist or Pharmaceutical Assistant?" The answer is yes you can, but you do need to choose the appropriate accredited course if you wish to practice Pharmacy in Canada. 

When applying to study Pharmacy in the UK you will need to apply to universities that offer the MPharm program as this is the only valid Pharmacy degree, recognized by the Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada (PEBC). Speak to an SI-UK consultant to learn which UK universities offer the MPharm course and to give you the best chance of receiving an offer of acceptance. 

Upon completion of the MPharm program, students returning to Canada will go through the following steps: 

  1. Pharmacists’ Gateway Canada

Enroll in Pharmacists Gateway Canada as this will provide students with a national ID number required to apply to the Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada (PEBC) to continue licensing procedure. This ID will allow students to track their progress.

  1. Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada (PEBC)

All provinces, except Quebec, require students outside of Canada to have the PEBC Certificate of Qualification.

   a) Document Evaluation

Educational (transcripts) and professional credentials need to be evaluated to prove that their education and training is comparable to that of Canadian programs. Document Evaluation results are valid for five years so students have five years to pass the Evaluating Exam.

   b) Evaluating Examination

Students are tested on their knowledge, skills, and abilities to practice. Students are assessed on the following and have three attempts:

Biomedical sciences

Pharmaceutical sciences

Pharmacy practice

Behavioural, social, and administrative pharmacy sciences

   c) Qualifying Examination (Part I and Part II)

  • This examination assesses a student’s knowledge, skills, and ability to practice pharmacy safely and effectively in an “entry-level” pharmacist position.
  • Part I is a multiple-choice exam and can be completed online. Part II is an objective structured clinical examination that will evaluate a student’s performance in a simulated practice environment; this must be completed in person.
  1. English Language Requirements

All international graduates are required to take a language proficiency test and achieve a minimum score in each category (reading, writing, speaking and understanding). The National Association of Pharmacy Regulatory Authorities (NAPRA) has established a proficiency standard to assess language skills for international graduates.

  1. Apply to the Provincial Regulatory Authority (PRA)

Students will need to apply directly to the PRA in the province they want to practice in. Each jurisdiction has its own conditions for licensure. Students need to make sure they satisfy all these conditions in order to practice. Speak to an SI-UK consultant to learn your province's specific requirements. 

SI-UK's service is fast, reliable and efficient. My consultant improved my chances of getting into a top university.
Carla T.
International Business Economics at City University

Read more testimonials

  • university-college-london
  • manchester
  • University of Birmingham
  • University of Leeds
  • sheffield
  • southampton
  • manchester
  • exeter
  • cardiff
  • warwick
  • loughborough
  • edinburgh
  • bristol
  • lancaster
  • durham
  • bath
  • york
  • st-andrews
  • sussex
  • nottingham
  • aberdeen
  • belfast
  • Oxford Brookes
  • University of Essex
  • National University of Ireland, Galway
  • University of Cumbria
  • Birmingham University
  • Liverpool John Moores University