Summer Schools in the UK
Many UK universities offer Summer School programmes to international students who are interested in studying in the UK. Summer School courses help build your knowledge of an existing subject, or act as a pathway to something new. Courses are available at introductory or advanced levels, and previous knowledge and grades on an area of interest are not always required as the focus is on gaining international academic experience for the future.
Summer School courses in the UK can last between one to five weeks in June, July and August and accommodation, meals and social activities are often included in the tuition fee.
In addition to academic study, Summer School courses offer social programmes featuring trips to famous UK landmarks, the seaside and special events such as the theatre.
Summer School Programmes
Here are some of the summer school programmes SI-UK students signed up recently.
University College London
- Dates: 25 July – 5 August 2022
- Course fee: £750
The course is for high school students considering applying for an undergraduate degree at a UK university.
They will develop the academic and language skills required for undergraduate study in the UK while exploring UCL and UK academic culture, including:
- Experiencing studying at a global top 10 university (QS World University Rankings 2022).
- Developing key skills including critical thinking, presentation and report writing, independent study, as well as their ability to work in a team.
- Expanding their use of academic English language and abilities in both academic writing and speaking.
- Learning how to conduct a short academic research report and prepare and deliver an academic presentation.
- Participating in optional virtual visits to places of cultural and historical interest around London.
This summer course is unique as, unlike other summer courses, it doesn't just give them more knowledge about one subject but includes a variety of subjects drawn from the sciences, arts, humanities and social sciences.
Students will meet the following criteria:
- be a high school student, in - or about to start - their final year of high school.
- be 16 - 18 years old for the duration of the course.
- English isn't their first language.
- not hold an offer for the UCL Undergraduate Preparatory Certificates or a UCL degree.
- GPA of 70% or higher in their previous year of study.
- between IELTS 5.5 (overall and in each skill) and 7.0 in speaking and writing or equivalent.
University of Warwick
Pre-University Summer School
- Dates: 5 - 15 July 2022
- Age: Must be aged between 15-17 for the duration of the summer school
- Location: The University of Warwick, Coventry, UK (See map)
- Courses: Introduction to Economics and Finance or A Taste of Social Sciences (Law, Psychology, Education and Philosophy)
Warwick Summer School
- Dates: 17 July - 6 August 2022
- Age: Must be 18 years or older at the start of the summer school
- Location: University of Warwick, Coventry, UK (see on map)
- Courses: 13 courses running in 2022 in a wide range of disciplines, see the full course list here.
Arts University Bournemouth
- Who is it for? Art, design and media students.
- When does it take place? Two-week courses take place in July and August 2016.
- What is included in the fee? All university materials, airport transfer, meals and portfolio preparation.
- Fee: £1,595
- Who is it for? Business and law students.
- When does it take place? 28th June – 21st July 2016.
- What is included in the fee? Career guidance workshops, business and law simulation exercises, accommodation and social activities.
- Fee: £3,000 including accommodation.
University of Leicester Summer School
- Who is it for? Students 18+.
- When does it take place? 8th August – 27th August 2016.
- What is included in the fee? Tuition fee, self-catered accommodation, excursions and social events.
- Fee: £1,600.
- Who is it for? Students 16+.
- When does it take place? Each Monday between 11th July – 5th August 2016.
- What is included in the fee? Accommodation for the duration of the programme, as well as all social activities and excursions.
- Fee: £1,700.
University of Central Lancashire
- Who is it for? Overseas doctors and health professionals.
- When does it take place? 11th - 22nd July 2016.
- What is included in the fee? All scheduled lectures and masterclasses, visit to a UK NHS hospital, refreshments, 12 nights’ accommodation, transport between locations, gala dinner and Lake District trip.
- Fee: £4,500
Focus Study Tours
- Who is it for? Teenagers and adults of all ages.
- When does it take place? July and August 2016.
- What is included in the fee? Language PLUS: Course and materials, accommodation, social activities and airport transfers. Language only: Course and materials.
- Fee: Language PLUS: From £1,750 for two weeks. Language only: £230 (plus £35 registration fee).
INTO St George's, University of London
- Who is it for? Medical, biomedical and health students.
- When does it take place? Two week's in July 2016.
- What is included in the fee? Guidance on interview techniques, medical workshops, meals and life as a medical student.
- Fee: £2,000
Apply to a UK Summer School
If you are interested in learning more about Summer Schools in the UK, arrange a free consultation today.