Summer Schools in the UK
Many UK universities offer Summer School programs to international students who are interested in studying in the UK. Summer School courses help build your knowledge of an existing subject or act as a pathway to something new. Courses are available at introductory or advanced levels, and previous knowledge and grades in an area of interest are not always required as the focus is on gaining international academic experience for the future.
Summer School courses in the UK can last between one to five weeks in June, July and August and accommodation, meals and social activities are often included in the tuition fee.
In addition to academic study, Summer School courses offer social programs featuring trips to famous UK landmarks, the seaside and special events such as the theatre.
Summer School Programs
Here are some of the summer school programs SI-UK students signed up for recently.
University of Leeds
- Dates: July 1st – 29th 2023 (block one: July 1st – 15th, block two: July 16th – 29th). Students can choose to study for 2 weeks or 4 weeks.
- Course Fees:
- Full four-week program: £3,550
- Two-week program (either block one or block two): £1,975
The program fee includes:
- breakfast and lunch, Monday to Friday
- module field trips
- weekend excursions
- social activities
- The Edge sports centre premium membership
Leeds also offers a free transport service to the University from Manchester Airport and Leeds Bradford Airport during the Leeds International Summer School arrival period.
Read the Leeds International Summer School brochure for more information.
Early application by April 1st 2023- If you’re attending the four-week programme the discount is worth £150. If you’re attending the two-week program, the discount is worth £75.
Merit scholarship - The scholarship is worth £500 if you're attending the full four-week program and £250 if you're attending either block one or block two. Must by April 1st and write a supporting document. Full details here.
Champion scholarship: The scholarship is worth £1,000 which will be used to help pay your LISS fees. To apply, you should have an offer of a place on LISS for the full four-week program and submit a video. Full details here.
Eligibility: To be eligible to apply for LISS, you must be enrolled at a university, or be a recent graduate. Full details here.
Join a Leeds online information session to learn more! They are hosting these from February – April 2023.
University of Leicester Summer School
The University of Leicester's English Language Teaching Unit runs an exciting collection of International Summer Programs. Their three-week programs combine general and academic English classes with subject-specific content, as well as a varied social program where you will meet and socialize with other students.
Summer School programs include: 'English for Humanities International Summer Programme', 'English for Medics International Summer Programme' and the 'Leicester Discovery International Summer Programme'.
- Who is it for? Students 18+.
- When does it take place? August 7th – August 25th 2023.
- What is included in the fee? Tuition fee, self-catered accommodation, excursions and social events.
- Fee: £2,100 (£2,000 if applying through a University of Leicester partner).
INTO St George's, University of London
The Frontiers in Human Health Summer School at St George’s, University of London
- Who is it for? The summer school program is open to current undergraduate students and recent graduates of a biology-related degree.
- When does it take place? Monday, July 10th until Friday, August 4th, 2023.
- What is included in the fee? The fee includes all tuition (including laboratory consumables), orientation activity and refreshments at the welcome and farewell receptions and specific networking events.
- Fee: £2,500. There is also an early bird fee offer of £2,250 for booking before 28 April 2023. Scholarship opportunities are also available; please check the St George's, University of London website for more details.
University College London (UCL)
UCL is a world-leading university (ranked 8th globally by QS in 2022) in the heart of central London. The University College London Summer School offers students from universities around the world the chance to study undergraduate UCL modules for 3 or 6 weeks and transfer credit back to their home college. A truly international program, the 2022 UCL Summer School welcomed 700+ students from 50+ countries.
In 2023, over 70 courses are on offer in subjects like Psychology, Computer Science, Culture, Economics, Finance, Health, Politics, Law, Sciences and more. Students can choose the course best suited to their academic or personal interests and for most courses, no prior subject knowledge is necessary. All courses are taught by the UCL faculty.
Also offered are accommodations close to campus and a varied program of social and cultural events & activities to ensure students have fun and meet others from across the program.
- Who is it for? Students who have completed 1+ years of university study.
- When does it take place? 26th June – 4th August 2023
- What is included in the fee? Tuition fee (accommodation is optional and incurs an extra cost)
- Fee: £2,350 (One Session) / £4,200 (Both Sessions)
UCL Pre-University Online Course for High School Students
The course is for high school students considering applying for an undergraduate degree at a UK university.
- Dates: July 24th – August 4th, 2023
- Course fee: £850
- Location: online
Students will develop the academic and language skills required for undergraduate study in the UK while exploring UCL and UK academic culture, including:
- Experiencing studying at a global top 10 university (QS World University Rankings 2023).
- Developing key skills including critical thinking, presentation and report writing, independent study, as well as their ability to work in a team.
- Expanding their use of the academic English language and abilities in both academic writing and speaking.
- Learning how to conduct a short academic research report and prepare and deliver an academic presentation.
- Participating in optional virtual visits to places of cultural and historical interest around London.
Unlike other pre-university short courses, this course doesn’t just give you more knowledge about one subject, but includes a variety of subjects drawn from the sciences, arts, humanities and social sciences.
Students will meet the following criteria:
- be a high school student.
- be 16 - 18 years old for the duration of the course.
- English isn't your first language.
University of Warwick
The University of Warwick is in the Heart of England, close to the cities of Coventry and Birmingham, Shakespeare’s birthplace Stratford-Upon-Avon and Warwick Castle. They are also just an hour away from London by train.
Warwick Summer School
Students on the Warwick Summer School will be taught by academics from one of the UK’s leading universities, whilst living on the beautiful world-class Warwick campus.
Whether you want to boost your core knowledge, are looking for something more specialized, or would like to learn something new, Warwick has a course that is right for you. All of their Summer School courses are three weeks long and are suitable for students 18+ and who are currently studying (or who have previously studied) at undergraduate or postgraduate level.
- Dates: July 14th - August 3rd 2024
- Age: Must be 18 years or older at the start of the summer school
- Location: the University of Warwick, Coventry, UK (see on map)
- Courses: 8 courses running in 2024 in a wide range of disciplines, see the full course list here.
- Fee: A fee breakdown can be found on the WSS website.
Pre-University Summer School
Warwick Pre-University Summer School is a ten-night all-inclusive program for students aged 15-17.
- Dates: July 16th - July 26th, 2024
- Age: Must be aged between 16-17 for the duration of the summer school
- Location: The University of Warwick, Coventry, UK (See map)
- Courses: Three courses to choose from: Economics and Finance, Social Sciences or Science and Engineering
- Fees: £4250 (inclusive of a £1000 deposit, required to secure place) + £50 application fee
- Accommodation in en-suite halls of residence and all catering
- Airport pick up and drop off
- An introduction to the Summer SchoolLink opens in a new window
- 19 hours of academic teaching and professional skills development
- A high-profile guest lecture
- A campus tour with current students
- Advice and guidance on applying to study at university and personal statements
- Day trip to Oxford
- A talk from a Warwick Alumnus
- Chance to live alongside and be mentored by current Warwick Students
- A full social program including a welcome team building event, bbq, bowling and farewell event
- A day trip to London including Houses of Parliament tour, London Eye and West End Show.
All students will receive a certificate of attendance from the University of Warwick.
University of Central Lancashire (UCLAN) - Medical School Residential Program
- Who is it for? Non-UK students (aged 16-18 upon the duration of the course) interested in Medicine
- When does it take place? 9 – 16 July 2023.
- What is included in the fee?
- Clinical skills:
- Communication skills with simulated patients
- Physical examination
- Airways workshop
- Suturing and venepuncture workshop
- Basic Life Support and Automated External Defibrillator training
- Introduction to anatomy and practical workshop
- Virtual patient scenarios using VR technology
- Introduction to professionalism
- Personal statement advice and feedback
- Mock Multiple Mini Interviews (MMIs) and feedback session
- Visit to a Mountain Rescue Centre
- Evening guest lectures
- Talk from a former UCLan medical student on studying medicine in the UK
- Social programme including Lake District National Park excursions (a World Heritage Site)
- Guaranteed UCLan MBBS interview for all successful, eligible participants
- 7 nights, fully catered accommodation
- Clinical skills:
- Fee: £2,750
Arts University Bournemouth
- Who is it for? Art, design and media students.
- When does it take place? Two-week courses take place in July - August 2023.
- What is included in the fee? All university materials, airport transfer, meals and portfolio preparation.
- Fee: Course fee only: £1,499 / Course fee including residential and half-board catering package: £2,199
Apply to a UK Summer School
If you are interested in learning more about Summer Schools in the UK, arrange a free consultation today.