Our feet take our entire body weight and yet they are still the most neglected part of our body and easily forgotten when the matter comes to looking after our health. Foot problems contribute to frequent falls and have an enormous impact on quality of life.
Podiatrists come to your help when a foot problem occurs and it is a brilliant career if you're interested in science, biology, chemistry or medicine.
What is Podiatry?
Podiatry is a medical specialty that focuses on the diagnosis, treatment, prevention and management of medical conditions, diseases, defects and injuries of the foot, ankle and lower limb.
Feet give the first indication of a circulation problem, nerve disorder, arthritis or diabetes. Podiatry addresses all sorts of foot problems including cracked heels, corns, calluses, ingrown toenails, warts, skin and nail disorders, and fungal infections.
What do Podiatrists do?
Podiatrists are uniquely qualified health professionals in a highly flexible and rewarding profession. Qualified Podiatrists are in high demand across a diverse range of workplaces such as hospitals, private clinics, nursing homes, sports clubs, and health centres to name just a few. They also:
- Perform surgery
- Perform reconstructive surgery and microsurgeries
- Administer sedation and anesthetics
- Perform complete medical histories and physical examinations
- Prescribe medications
- Set fractures and treat sports-related injuries
- Prescribe and fit orthotics, insoles, casts and prosthetics
- Order and perform physical therapy
- Take and interpret X-rays, ultrasound, MRI and other imaging studies
- Work as valued members of a community’s health care team
What you will study in Podiatry?
- Forensic podiatry
- Sports medicine
- Diabetic limb salvage and wound care
- Reconstructive rearfoot and ankle surgery
- Human Bioscience
- Anatomy of lower limb
- Podiatric Pharmacology
Why study Podiatry in the UK?
Podiatry study is a great transitional subject for Kinesiology graduates as well as those interested in studying out of high school. UK universities provide you with awareness in the latest medical developments and techniques in Podiatry and modules taught are recognized by Podiatry Professional Bodies. The course will help you to:
- Learn practical skills and theoretical knowledge of treatment of foot and lower-limb complaints and complementary specialties in surgical techniques and mechanical correction of gait and posture
- Acquire essential reflective, critical thinking, reasoning and problem-solving skills for professional practice
- Opportunities to learn the curriculum and stay up to date with podiatry policy and practice to be taught by expert lecturers
- Access high-quality teaching and cutting edge research
- Get support and guidance from specialist practice educators
- Get hands-on–experience with multi-professional teams and practice in NHS
Canadian Podiatric Medical Association
The Canadian Podiatric Medical Association (CPMA) acts as the national voice for podiatrists in Canada, serving as a resource for legislative and policy changes affecting podiatry both provincially and federally. The association also represents podiatrists in Canada at the international level through involvement with the Federation Internationale des Podologues (FIP), the American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA) and The College of Podiatry (UK) (COP).
Friendship protocols have also been established in the U.S.A. and the UK.
Students have the option of applying to one podiatric medical school in Canada or several schools in the United States. Students can also apply to schools in the United Kingdom if they wish to pursue a BSc (Honours) Podiatry or BSc (Hons) Podiatric Medicine instead of a Doctor of Podiatric Medicine degree.
UK Universities where you can study Podiatry
- University of Northampton
- Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
- University of Brighton
- Cardiff Metropolitan University
- University of East London
- Glasgow Caledonian University
- University of Huddersfield
- University of Salford
- University of Southampton
Study Podiatry in the UK
If you want to learn more about Podiatry Studies in the UK, arrange a free consultation today with SI-UK.